Monday 21 April 2014

ALASDAIR MCLELLAN

Another photographer I found in I-D and really liked was Alasdair Mclellan. His work shown in the magazine is more portraiture based but It really works with my project. Also whilst researching about the man himself I found out that he actually also attended Nottingham Trent Uni which is extremely inspiring.  He's done work for Topshop, Man about town and taken pictures of top end celebrities such as Beyonce, Pharrell, Cara Delevigne etc. His work is truly amazing and definitely something to admire. 


I just love the lighting in his images, it's so bright and natural and really compliments the men and their features. I want to use only natural lighting through out my work - although being only april, it's proving a little difficult to get the perfect sun light. The above image is interesting because he looks like he's half been captured in movement, yet it also looks set up the same time - it's intriguing and eye catching. The clothes stand out, yet again its not obvious that the photographer is trying to sell them to us. I like how the location isn't particularly interesting, just brick walls because for my shoots, i've been trying to find unique and weird locations, when really the model should be the main focus.  

The image below I love because the juxtaposition between the landscape and the portrait works incredibly well. The tones are similar, the lighting is similar. It creates a story between the male and that place, is it somewhere he goes regularly? It creates a story and I find that extremely fascinating. 
Although these images haven't got anything to do with fashion, this is definitely something I could experiment with when it comes to my men in fashion shoots and the landscape shoots i've taken at the same time. 



Another of my favourites. The male, the colour, the clothes - everything just screams out I-D magazine. Which is exactly where I found this image. I think its great, it's quirky and fun and that's a huge thing to  accomplish with images like these. I want to try get some laid back 'fun' natural shots in my zine of my models, it creates a chilled vibe which I really like. Theres also something about this image that screams out 90's rave to me, which is actually current at the moment - everyones bringing out the 90's fashion and music. So for my zine, maybe I should think about current bands or eras that people are fascinating over, to keep my zine fashion conscious. 



The two below I picked to show because I love the different poses and also the intense depths of field used. The males are 100 percent in focus and your main focal point. Mclellans used the same practice yet both images are so different from each other. I love how natural the one directly below looks yet I also like the intensity of the other one. The males stare directly at the camera, is gripping and beautiful. You really look at him and start to notice the other little elements in the image, such as his eye colour, his freckles etc. 




The image of Devlin below is completely different to the other images, yet still has an interesting style about it. I like how the back ground is more in focus than the model, the depth of field has been challenged and I think it works really well. You can still see the model and his clothes, but he's not too in your face. You find that that the back ground and framing is more eye catching than the man. The black and white gives it a real edge as well, making everything appear bleak and sharp, adding some emotive connotations to the image. You wonder about the mans state of mind - theres so many elements to this image that I would love to practice in my own shoots. 



His book :  Ultimate clothing company 
Is a book i'd be really interested in viewing, looking at for research and also just to have for my own personal collection. I absolutely love his work and am so intrigued by how he buts them together etc. 



No comments:

Post a Comment