Monday 21 April 2014

SHOOT 2 - EXPERIMENTS


Using photoshop and my research knowledge I've started to make designs/ edits of my images, for example including borders. Just to see how I can manipulate them creatively to add a current, bold look to my zine. 

The one below I really don't like - the edit that is. I tried to recreate a Celine campaign image by incorporating a white border and writing across the middle, however I feel that this attempt failed - maybe another image would work better perhaps? Aspects of this experiment that doesn't work would definitely be how big the font is and the colour. The colour green does work within a male genre magazines however overlaid on this image, it's just not very appealing and doesn't add anything to the image. The white border also doesn't work on this image because it's not bold enough on the lighting that comes through. The border would probably work better had I put it in yellow or black - this is something I could try. 


Intense black and white edit - I edited this image to black and white because I wanted to make the smoke look really intense and bold. I really like how grey the image is, it makes his clothes stand out more and also works really well with the smoke. I like the small glimpses of light within the image also, that only make some of the sections brighter, such as his jumper or the wall behind him, it adds some depth to the image. 



I cant work out if I actually like this overlaid image or not. There's elements I like but also I feel that it looks too easily done - like there hasn't been much effort put into it. I do however like how it intensifies his expression but repeating it 2 and a half times. You also see the clothes numerous times which could work as a selling point - had it been put in a campaign. 
I'm also not sure if it would work with the other designs I plan to put in my magazine, like this one isn't bold enough or bright enough compared to the others. Saying this though, it could juxtapose quite nicely by adding a toned down element to the zine. 


The two below I would say are my favourite edits and are pretty much exactly how I want some of my images to be displayed in my zine. For the borders I took inspiration out of Phenix magazine (will show  you in a later post) and also Topmans magazine. However instead of using bold colours or patterns, I used some of my landscape images from the shoot and used them as the background. The reason for this is I wanted my work to appear edgy, bold, more urban than pop or punk, so I feel like the run down images really create a story between the two images. This then gives the image more of a portrait appeal rather than solely fashion element - which I would guess men reading my zine would prefer. 

As you can see I used the same image for both, this was purely just a practice. I will be applying this idea/effect to my other images. I really like how the colours of the borders work with the image, so this is something to consider when making borders for my other images.



I took this idea from a Banksy image (again, will post about later.. ). I the effect itself was simple to do on photoshop. I created a pixelised image then saved it, opened up both of the images again and overlaid the pixilised one on top of the original. The reason I thought this would be an interesting and appropriate effect to try was that I wanted to add some focus to the clothes, so by pixelising his face out, you're drawn more to the clothes and then you found yourself figuring out the abstracted face. 


No comments:

Post a Comment