Monday 21 April 2014

BRUNO STAUB

Bruno Staub is a photographer I can across in I-D Magazine. I really liked how his images of men and mens fashion were very casual and had a chilled vibe about them - this is exactly the same notion I want for my images. He uses interesting models, ones that are often short haired and less of a stereotypical 'model'.  Sometimes his work can have a snapshot aesthetic about it which is more intriguing and sways his work more towards portraiture than fashion. 

"New York based photographer Bruno Staub is known for his fashion portraits, published in magazines like Elle, Dazed & Confused and GQ. For i-D, Bruno has photographed Adam Driver, A$AP Rock and most recently Mykki Blanco. Bruno also landed a cover last winter with his story in the Wise Up issue, featuring Will Chalker and baby Martha. Other clients include Dior Homme, Perry Ellis and Louis Vuitton."
 - I-D MAGAZINE 2014





The image is above is different to the work I have been producing but I really like the grey tones and the simplicity of it. The models expression is fascinating also which makes the work more grubbing despite being a standard portraiture shot. Not only this, like I mentioned earlier the model isn't considered a stereotypical model and thats what I like. This works really work with my own photography practice because I'm not using men who look like typical models. 


The work above is very similar to the previous image, however I intrigued by the page layout and tones. The blues and violets juxtapose really nicely with the serious and formal stance and expressions on the males face. I also like how the images slightly overlap, giving them more of a relationship / paring. I also like how again, the clothing aspect isn't too obvious or in your face, it feels like more works has gone into the style of the page and tones, than the actual clothes - it's very clever and fascinating. You notice the clothes but at the same time you don't feel like they're being sold to you. 


I'm starting to notice a pattern with his work / or the images I'm choosing and that would be the actual pose the males are doing - they're all posing the same. It's slightly frustrating. However above is another image I feel matches my work. It's on location, its a male and he's wearing a fashionable top - perfect. A negative to this though would be that I feel the image only looks this good due to the model being used, a lot is riding on the appearance of the man in the image. 


No comments:

Post a Comment