Monday 21 April 2014

ID MAGAZINE


When I first thought of my sub brief for this project of mens fashion, the first magazine that came to my head was ID magazine. I really like how unique, current and art based it is. There images are always fun, experimental and not always typical fashion shots. The front cover itself is always simple, meaning there isn't too much writing, leaving an air of mystery to the magazine. People who read ID already know what it's about, what their ethos is, so you don't need to much information on the front. By doing this it also connotes this notion of now having to advertise too much, by having tons of titles on a magazine cover, you're force selling it - you're drawing your customers in by the words not the the sheer interest and style of the magazine. Thats why I think I like this magazine, it gives it a higher end appearance.  With this particular cover I like how it can cater to both genders, with the simple design and the pastel blue tones. Not only this, they've made a Nirvana reference, which avid music fans would be able to understand instantly, it's clever and also on topic with current situations (Kurt Cobain died 20 years ago when this issue was released).  Everything about this magazine is cleverly thought out and that's what helps draw you in. 


Simple header yet bold at the same time. The black writing is eye catching and draws your attention, by positioning it to the right hand side, you can still see the main image on the page but more importantly if the magazine was shown in a store, you would always be able to see the title - good selling point. The black on the white is elegant, and it's trying to be too garish. It has a calming flow with the other colours on the page which I think really works. I-D is simple and yet rememberable, thats what I want my zine name to represent and show. 


I absolutely love this campaign shown in I-D. It's classy, its stylistic and so simple. Saint Laurent has done so well with this, i just love the edgy Alex Turner appeal it has. The image itself is interesting and isn't too try hard, meaning it isn't obvious the image has been used to sell/ promote clothes. 







Layouts - 

Each page has been cleverly thought out and with their white borders, they really stand out. The Margaret Howell page really interested me because of the large font and the position of the image, i'll be experimenting with this layout in my sketch book. Also with that page, I like the image itself its simple, arty and again not so in your face.The other page I really like would be the simple one with the word 'wunderkind' written over it. It really stands out due to how simple it is. I also really like the font used. 

























No comments:

Post a Comment