Saturday 10 May 2014

POSSIBLE LAYOUTS FOR MY ZINE


Using photoshop I was able to use a current magazine double page spread layout to make my own ZINE layouts. Basically the curved images below were already pre made, I just used the square tool to turn the pages into a blank white canvas to work on. Then depending on the pages and images, I also used the transform tools to manipulate images into looking like there were on a slightly bent turned over page. 

The image directly below was originally an idea for the name or the inside page of the magazine, possibly the middle one? The idea behind it was a play on a typical photography theme of the 'female gaze' but changing to the male gaze causes controversy in a very opinionated topic. It also draws attention to the fact that men can feel violated or used in images too - the zine is representing males in a good way. Men power so to speak. 

I used a simple, type write theme - for no particular reason other than it's currently one of my favourites. I like the simplicity of it on plain page. Despite its simplicity, it's extremely eye catching and I really like that about it -It's not too try hard.  With this I was extremely conscious of the layout, making it readable, eye catching yet interesting at the same time. I used the dictionary layout because it adds extra meaning to the titles, which also creates a more visually appealing page. 



This layout is a design i've been researching into for quite a while. The border idea, I am really fond of however the image I've used below I don't think will make the final selection, so I need to practice this on other images. Despite this, the overall layout is quite interesting. I like how the image on the opposite page is smaller and less of a focal point, it also guides your eyes in a different direction, keeping the reader more interested in the zine ( or so I hope ). Negatives to this would be I would have to make sure the two images either completely contrast or that they are similar.. I feel that the two images below, despite being of the same person, they don't quite work. They connote two different stories and emotions, so this could be quite confusing to readers or make the page create quite messy emotions. 


A page before the image pages: 

HATE the font. This was simply an experiment of layout, rather than typography. I do like this, I like the surrounded white space, it's clean and calming - could juxtapose with the next page of busy borders and illustrations. However this may be of the cards for me, due to the fact that I don't feel that there will be enough pages in my zine to do this, after my recent zine research - coming soon.  


I really like the use of snippets of colour and the border on this layout page. I feel like the left hand page needs more around it though - maybe illustrations or words? Small words, poetic around the image.. Maybe lyrics or quotes from the male? This is definitely something to think of, as I need to make my zine more interesting as it's not just a typical picture book. I also like the clash between the colour of the border and the image, it creates a more open colour theme and clashing colours is on trend at the moment - making it work with this fashion element. 


This page I did differently to the others - it was one of my first ones, hence the dodgy edit. I personally dislike the colour and the black and white used together. I think this idea would work better with splashes of colour, which I'm going to experiment with later on. I do however really like the mini border around the smaller image. It gives it more importance, which is good because when working with pairs of images, they need to work together and be just as important than the other. 


An idea of what a double page image would look like and I really like it. I'm tempted to just include one of these in the zine - probably this image too. It breaks the zine up from busyness and also pulls more attention on the images. 



Again excuse the dodgy stretched edit - this was also one of my first examples. I wanted to experiment with how the images would look like with the males name on the page. I've used the same font as the front cover, so there is a clear theme and connection running through the magazine. I've also kept it simple like the front cover. One thing that I do like about adding words to the page, or the males name is that it creates a more personal element to the page and image. It makes the male appear less of a stranger. 


I love this design, it's eye catching, bold , colourful and trendy. It works well if the front cover of the zine and it also does what the above images do and creates a more personal level to the page. The writing itself is a quote from the male which adds a humours element to the page and is there to get a reaction from the reader. I feel to make this page slightly more interesting and personal, i'm going to add the males illustrations to the page and scatter them around. This will be a typical zine feature, which I think would work in my own zine. 


No comments:

Post a Comment