Monday 12 May 2014

ISSUU

ISSUU - DIGITAL PUBLISHING


Issuu is a magazine and zine publishing house which currently holds over 15 million publications on it's online store and with 25,000 new publications uploaded everyday, it's slowely becoming more and more popular. I've found Issuu really inspirational because it allows you to browse through all the magazines. Another good thing about it, is that once my zine is made, I can also upload mine onto the site - which is also free. 

Some magazines I've found on Issuu are : 


The above magazine ADORN is a European mens fashion magazines, which is actually awful in the inside. The contents is slighting ridiculous and over the top, tacky homosexual images. Which is fine if you're into those sort of thing but I just found it slightly clichéd and offensive. The front cover however, I like. It's colourful, bold, simple. Hate the image but it's relevant to the contents within the magazine. The main thing that attracted me to the image would be the header. The typography is really interesting and original, I like the bold yellow and art element behind it. 


Collage magazine I found slightly boring, I think it's all slightly too plain and the colours remind me of sick, if I was to be really harsh about them. The only thing that would attract you to the magazine would be the half naked male and the appreciation of the art/ photography used on the cover - but that is it. This is an example of something I wouldn't want to do on my zine. 



With this magazine 'The zine is dead' I hated the typography - despite the fact it works really well with the look of the magazine. But really liked the image. It reminds me of the type of males i've been photographing. I like the edginess of it and the use of black and white. The cover appears simple, but it's not, it draws your attention. Another thing I dislike about this cover would be the placement of the header at the bottom, if the zine was to be displayed on a shelf, you wouldn't be able to see what the zine was - a huge flaw- unless done ironically. 

Full magazines I found inspirtional


First things first, I love the cover. It's simple, no fuss, one main image attracting you to look inside. Used to give you an insight into the magazine, this type of image could attract men or women which is a massive positive. If I was being fussy I would say that the only thing I dislike would be the 'ISSUE 3' text is too close to his head, it's quite off putting or makes the image look a tad weird - but that would be the only thing I changed. 


^ hate how much writing there is, but I love the layout and boldness of the picture. This would something to consider using in my zine.


Another layout I really like, although might be difficult with the way I want to set my zine out. I think this would be a good design to experiment with. I really like the use of colour and black and white images, the juxtaposition is really eye catching and intriguing. 



^This magazine also includes illustrations which persuades me even more to include them in my zine. I really like the sudden change in the way the zine runs, such as the way you read it. Adding this element holds your attention with the zine and makes you want to explore each page. 


Again, a completely different layout and it just shows us how unique, arty and versatile the magazine is. It's intriguing on each page, it's nice to look at - and you want to look at it. That's the main thing. 


Illustrations found in ISSUU magzines:




Possible layout inspirations:

Taken from 'The zine is dead'


No comments:

Post a Comment