Sunday 11 May 2014

How to make a zine


These images are taken off the website www.rookiemag.com. 

I found this technique to be my favourite when it comes to making a zine. I like the idea of the zine not needing to be binded and that I could put a poster on the back, which would add a more interactive feel to it. It works as a gift from the zine, a two in one or a gimmick. 














I took a try at making this type of zine and also attempted to adapt it as well. 

First one I did was out of A1 Blue paper. Obviously blue won't be the colour I choose for my final product, I just wanted a range of colours to show you the different styles and the difference between each zine layout. I really like the A1 size paper as it created quite a big zine, which is originally what I had researched to do - think back to BEAT magazine etc. However I feel that I will have troubles photocopying this and it would then mean I needed to send it to someone else, which would take away the element of something being homemade. 

Pictures of the A1 Sized zine:


(SORRY IT'S BLURRY!)





The next one I made was out of an A4 Piece of paper. This created very small zines which I loved because I like the delicacy of them, however I feel as a photography based zine, this size wouldn't make the images look appealing or work well with them, as my work needs to be portrayed quite bold. 

As you can see I used the same technique as above yet with a smaller piece of paper. 




Adapting the above A4 paper idea, I wanted to find a way to add more pages into my zine, without having to use glue, sellotape or staples etc. Because obviously it would then ruin the poster feature of my zine. So with this in mind I cut an A4 piece of paper in half, make an extra mini size that was small enough to slot into the already pre made A4 one. With this, I made additional slits into the paper and slotted the mini book pages into each slit. By doing this I found that the little book stayed in place without have to be glued down, which is a huge brake through. This meant that the person reading this could slot the book out and still use the original zine book as a poster, after reading it. 











Here is an example of the book with a print on the back - please excuse the dodgy print as it's an old tester for a previous project. Take note that this is an A3 piece of paper being used. I really like the size of this size and also It's still easy to do, as I am able to get access to printers that photo copy at that paper size. 









No comments:

Post a Comment