Saturday 10 May 2014

Ideas behind the name 'I'm the son of rage and love'

It's been racking my brain trying to find a word or a phrase that would be perfect for my zine. I've thought of something simple like MAN or MALE. Something that is straight to the point and makes the audience automatically know what they're about to see in the zine. However I thought this was too obvious, maybe even slightly boring. So I then googled for definitions of the words men, male, man to see if that would make an insteresting or quirky cover- it didn't. Nor did it thesaurus and give me a range of other words I could use. It was ridiculous. 

So I then looked into lyrics and musicians I liked, such as the smiths, kooks, arctic monkeys which gave me ideas such as 'This Charming Man'. This I did like, however I felt that it would be something that has either been done before or over done. Also I felt that it didn't create the vibe for my magazine, or that it made the audience feel misjudged. Simply because when I look at the statement, I imagine a posh, suited and booted male and well, my men are all quirky, rugged and punk - bingo. With this thought in mind, I then looked into relevent musicians that matched the criteria of my men. People with a bit of edge, old school, punk etc. With this I came to Greenday and one of their songs Jesus of Suburbia.  Possible phrases in this song I considered were: 

-Clipped Wings

-In a land of make believe, that don't believe in me



-To alcohol and cigarettes and Mary Jane

-We are the stories and disciples of the Jesus of suburbia

- I am the son of rage and love. 

I liked them all as they were all cryptic and original. They also weren't obvious at all, which is an element I really like. They're poetic in a way, which is quite endearing. I'm still torn with which one to pick, but so far I'm swayed to ' I am the son of rage and love' because it's slightly more obvious what the zine will be about. 

I'm going to ask my seminar group and see what they think - call it consumer research if you will. 


No comments:

Post a Comment