Wednesday 28 May 2014

Layout Change

There was quite a few complications with the last layout I chose for my zine, simply because printing made it difficult. It didn't matter what paper I used , every time I folded it into the design it would rub the ink of the poster image off the edges where it was folded. Also, due to the size I wanted to make it, I also couldn't photocopy my zine, as it was too big - and it would have been impossible to scan each section individually as the zine was made from one piece of paper. With this in mind, I still want to use the design, but I will be using it for the illustrations book/ poster - just to switch designs up a bit and also with this I wont be including just one poster image, there will be lots of small images that wont get damaged by folding. 

So for my main zine, I have decided to make a continuous fold out booklet.  Such as:


(Sorry it was the best picture I could find) A picture of my design will be up soon! -

-simply because after many trials and making many many mock zines (which can be found in my sketch book) I found that this was the most effective way to make my zine more interactive and it was easier to add more pages. Not only this, it has a fun element to it, as its double sided and springs out. Another thing I loved about this design is that it will have a more rugged look as I plan on sticking the edges with black electrical tape - creating that home made appearance I was researching into previously-  which will hold the zine together but can also be a design element. Which will be a good twist on creating something that hasn't been made professionally into looking more design based and professional. 

Not only this but I will also be creating a holder for my zine - basically a type of dust jacket, but also looks like a mini fold out zine. My zine will be able to slot in without have to be stuck down due to the folds and how you slot them together. I will also be making a 'belly band' which will hold the zine, zine holder and illustrations booklet together. Sounds complicated but I have already made the mock up for all of these books, which can be seen in my sketch book.  Each book will have a particular design which when placed onto of each other works well also as a separate design. The belly band I plan on making black with the logo in the middle, just to tie in with the overall design and to match with the main zines colours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment